Report on prioritizing instruction in the LCTLs of Central or Inner Asia
Professor William Fierman (director of the Inner Asian and Uralic National Resource Center and the Center for Languages of the Central Asia Region, both at Indiana University) is coordinating prioritization of instruction in the LCTLs of the world region known as Central or Inner Asia.
Discussions of issues involved in prioritizing the languages of the region were held or are planned at the following meetings:
- Meeting of center directors at the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies, Pittsburgh, PA, November 2002
- Title VI National Resource Center Directors, Washington DC, September 2003
- Central European Studies Society, Cambridge, MA, October 2003
- American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies, Toronto, November 2003
- The e-LCTL Initiative Meeting, Santa Fe, NM, February 2004
Read a final report by Dr. William Fierman (Indiana University) on priorities in the Inner Asian LCTLs.
View a demographic table listing numbers of first-language speakers of the LCTLs of Central Asia (derived from the web-version of Grimes, Barbara, ed. Ethnologue: Languages of the World, 14th edition, vol. 1 (2000)
View data about Inner Asian LCTL offerings at Title VI centers, U.S. Foreign Service Institute, U.S. Defense Language Institute, and other institutions in the U.S. from 2001-04.